Wednesday, March 21, 2012

No pressure. It's just dinner.

I had a busy day ahead, and with half of the family on Spring Break (a cruel joke) and the other half still doing school work, plus some earaches this morning, we were spread thin.  So no fancy long cookings for us today.  I hadn't dusted off the new pressure cooker recently, and this seemed to be the perfect day for it!  An early morning Trader Joe's run yielded a whole chicken, white wine, and a container of pancetta cubes, knowing I could make something out of them.



My spring garden is still new, but the herbs are already usable, so I clipped rosemary, sage, and parsley.



I made a marinade from the herbs, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and some SnP.  The skinned chicken pieces went in for a soak as we headed to the doc with our sickies.

Three ear infections and two pharmacy runs later, I returned home to stir the marinade and make some stock.  Because why would I have remembered to buy stock when I was at the store earlier.



In a pot I put the chicken back and wings from the morning, a heart of celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, wine, and water to cover.  I let it simmer while I tended to Mr. & Ms. Whiney Pants.  Around the time that the soaking chicken hit 2 hours, the stock smelled done and the kid's Advil was obviously kicking in, so I was free for a few minutes.

I heated the pressure cooker over a medium flame with some olive oil and browned the pancetta cubes.




Then I took the chicken out of its bath, hang onto the bath you're going to use it, and began browning the chicken parts in the same pan.  Once all had been browned, I stacked them on a platter, and de-glazed the pan with about 1/2 c. of white wine.  Then back went the chicken, some of my freshly made stock, and finally I added the marinade.  Close up your pressure cooker and maintain the medium flame until your pressure release valve begins to rattle.  Turn the flame down to low and cook for 15 minutes.



Off the heat, and use your quick-release doo-hicky, and let your chicken rest on a plate while you finish the sauce.



Bring the liquid up to a simmer, and when it begins to thicken a bit, add in a handful of your favorite olives, lemon slices, and a bag of cooked rice.



Taste for salt and pepper and serve!  Quickly, before someone starts whining about something!

No comments:

Post a Comment