Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wait...you want dinner EVERY day?

Today I went into Trader Joe's at 3:30 with no idea what to make for dinner.  It's not the first time, I'll admit, but I think I was putting off going into my kitchen for the majority of the morning because of the last couple of days.  Nevertheless...we all have to eat sometime.


I chose the quicker cooking option of pork tenderloin, and also grabbed a box of frozen mostly-cooked wild rice.  After running another errand I rushed home only to realize I had no soy sauce, which completely annoyed me, seeing as I'd been food-brainstorming for the entire errand.  Ate humble pie and drug myself back to the store *insert deserved taunting by TJ's employees* then ran home.  As soon as I got home I put the pork into a marinade of soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, grated ginger, brown sugar, and clementine zest & juice.




While that soaked I made a few zucchini boats, and filled them with the rice blend, goat cheese, and sundried tomatoes.  I had some chopped pistachios so I threw those on top too.  The squash went into a dish with some broth, covered in foil and then I baked them for 40 minutes @ 350.  Once they were in I preheated my grill pan & cooked the pork for 4 minutes a side (imagine that the tenderloin is square, not round, so about 16 min) and then let them rest covered in foil.  


ALWAYS let your food rest before you carve into it!  It's as important and getting the chill of your meat before you cook it.  I'll let a pork tenderloin rest for at least 10 minutes.  Anyhow, the kiddos loved it! One had seconds of rice, one had seconds of meat, and one looked at his plate favorably....which means a lot.  



No comments:

Post a Comment