Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Veggie Dinner ~ a/k/a/ How to use up a bumper crop of mushrooms!

I was given two Costco-sized packages of mushrooms a couple of days ago, and I've been deciding how to get through them.  Last night a mushroom burrito came to mind, and since I'd found asparagus on sale the same day, why not put them together!  I started by sauteing the mushrooms in a large pan in olive oil, salt, and pepper.  If I've learned anything about cooking mushrooms, it's that they get rid of a whole lot of water before they get color on them.  So don't crowd the mushrooms!  Cook in batches if you don't have a pan big enough.  










When they had shrunk quite a bit and their water was gone, I moved them to a plate and went to work on an onion, roasted green chilies, and some asparagus.  I didn't want a lot of color on the onion, I just wanted the vegetables to be soft.  






As for the rice and beans, I had both left over so it only took a little reheating.  The beans had been cooked in the pressure cooker, with bay leaves, and a smoked ham shank, and the rice had roasted poblanos and caramelized onions.  









As I warmed the beans in a little non-stick pan I thought to myself, "Self - don't dirty another pan when you have that nice saute pan right here!"  So I scooted the asparagus over, and added in the rice.  I was worried about the rice sticking, so I added a little liquid - a Dogfish Head Punkin Ale!  






All that was left to do was warm tortillas, and layer in the veggies and rice with some toppings.  I chose a roasted salsa, Mexican crema, cilantro, and cotija cheese.





Even the kids ate the meal, and not a single "Where's the beef?" comment.  Even I am amazed by them sometimes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment