Thursday, February 16, 2012

What I do when I get my hands on a chicken

Today has been very Santa Ana-windish, but otherwise beautiful.  Sunny, blue skies, a little cool and a break from a few gloomy Eeyore days.  Not that I mind Eeyore days, particularly in February but they do put a damper on a walk.


So after mentioning roast chicken I took a walk for a chicken.  While at Fresh & Cheesy I also found a 4 pack of Cameo apples, and a par-baked Focaccia which will no doubt also end up roasted.  Possibly together.  I like to roast the chicken the same way every time, just with different flavors: 375 for 25 minutes, then up to 450 for 35.  I always rest it of course for at least 10 - 15 minutes before carving.  The initial lower temp of the oven really warms the meat up slow enough to ensure the that it will end evenly cooked, and the final high temp does what we all want with the skin.  One of the most important things to remember when cooking any meat in the entire world is BRING IT TO ROOM TEMP FIRST.  Nobody does this.  They yank it out of the fridge, throw flavors on it & cook away, fully expecting the chilled core of the meat to be done at the same time as the exterior.  30 minutes on the counter is good for most cuts unless we're talking turkeys or a roast of some sort.


Well I'm off to finish some chores before the bus arrives & I need to get this bird a bakin'!


Crap.  I forgot shallots.

No comments:

Post a Comment