Thursday, March 1, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Leftovers - we all have them.  Husbands - some of us have them.  In my house, would that the two were compatible!  My husband can't stand leftovers!  If I reheat it, it's overcooked.  If I serve it to him cold, it's got that "cold fat taste."  I decided to get creative.  I've seen many articles and cooking shows on how to "cook once, eat twice," so I figured I could do the same.  This weekend I made a pile of chicken fajitas, and I had at least a pound of cooked & seasoned chicken left.  


I started by soaking rice noodles in boiling water for about 10 minutes.  While they softened, I peeled a segment of ginger root and sliced it into long strips, then heated it in my wok in a little sesame oil.  When it started to smell very much like ginger in my kitchen, I added in half of an onion sliced into thin wedges and cooked them together until the onion started to soften.  Meanwhile, I sliced the chicken into thin strips and seasoned them with a little soy sauce and Mirin.  Once the vegetables were soft I added in the chicken, but since it was already cooked I only needed to heat it.  When the Mirin starts to cook off and smell nice and sweet, after about a minute or two, I drained the rice noodles & tossed them in the wok to season.  The last addition was a handful of Kimchi from the refrigerated section at Trader Joe's.  Picky eaters: don't be skerd!  Kimchi is just cabbage with spice, you should try it!



I served each plate with cilantro on top, and chopped peanuts.  The kids loved it!  My son gave me the death look each time he came across the Kimchi, but he ate everything else.  The other kiddos nearly licked their plates, so I count that as a success.  


***For some reason I can't get most of my photos to upload to the computer today, so hopefully I can figure it out & come back later to update this post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment