Monday, April 16, 2012

Bourdain, BBQ, and the Black Keys. Hells Yes.

I love Anthony Bourdain.  He's not the most amazing chef, and his opinions are sometimes wonkey, but I love his attitude.  He's so snarky, he has great chef friends on all the time, and I die laughing every time his wife is on ~ woman keeps him in line!!  I started a tradition to cook something from wherever he is going each week (at least for new episodes), no matter how hard the challenge.  High desert episode?  I made road house food.  Vienna?  Pork chops in mustard sauce with sauteed apples.  Japan?  Ordered a side of sushi to go & made Soba.  


This week Bourdain went to Kansas City, so I knew I'd have to make something barbecue-ie, but I put a little flare on the sides.  I don't like potato salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw, boiled corn, or at least the mainstream versions of the above.  The main reason that I was SO excited about this episode had to do with the guest.  The Black flipping Keys.  :)



Ok.  I'm making three things tonight, and you get one ingredient photo.  Because it's my blog.  Carrot slaw!


Carrots tossed in a dressing of Balsamic, lemon juice, crumbled chile de arbol, capers, olive oil, and salt.  Let sit in the fridge for the better part of an afternoon, then before serving taste for SnP, and top with julienned sun dried tomatoes and parsley.


Pork chops.  I put the rub on them that I also use for ribs.  There's too many ingredients to list patiently, but if you want it, ask me.


While the chops rest with their rub combine ketchup, beer, cider vinegar, Worcestershire, brown sugar, hot sauce, liquid smoke, and about a tablespoon of the same rub the chops are sitting around in.

In a big pan bake at 450 for 10 minutes, turning once.  Pour the sauce over, lower the heat to 250, and bake for 30 minutes.



Alright, I love Leeks Vinaigrette!  Leeks, I mean what else do you need to hear??  But tonight I wanted a potato side for the pork so...Potatoes Vinaigrette.  The warm potatoes are topped with a Dijon & red wine dressing, parsley, and a chopped boiled egg.


Slice the pork, and plate with the sauce, carrot slaw, and potatoesthatIcouldeataflippingbowlof.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment