Monday, April 9, 2012

Oh you don't like shellfish? Go away.

I've always thought it strange when people tell me they don't like seafood, especially shellfish.  I mean, I've never met a clam, mussel, or crab that I didn't like.  But everyone's tastes are different, plus that leaves more for me!  This dish is meant for a warm day when you don't want to deal with a heavy dish or a hot kitchen.  It's also low on the dirty dishes spectrum, which means it's high up on my list of likes.  The dish comes together rather quickly, the sauce basically cooks at the same time as the pasta.


I may start doing this before I cook.  Then again I may not.  I'm busy, and tend to be disorganized, so we will have to see how it goes.  But today you get a nice ingredient photo.  This is everything going into our lovely Clam Papparadelle in White Wine Sauce.


Start by chopping an onion and sauteing for about 5 minutes to soften.  Then split the endive lengthwise, and cut them crosswise.  Saute about 5 minutes to soften.




Push the endive aside and saute the garlic, capers, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes for 2 minutes.


When the endive have become floppy, but before they start to really brown, add in 1/3 c. white wine and 1/3 c. liquid from the clams.  Simmer for 10 minutes to remove the bitterness from the endive and to allow the sauce to reduce by half.



In go the clams for 2 minutes, just to warm through.


Add the nearly-cooked pasta into the pan to allow it to finish cooking in the pan sauce.


Parsley & thyme from the garden, then taste for salt and pepper.


Our snack: Toast with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes in oil & herbs.  Me and the kiddos stink so good now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment