Friday, April 13, 2012

Pies

It's raining for the second time this week.  It's cold, and dreary, and it makes me want to cook cozy food!  I love it!!  Shepherd's Pie and Cheddar Apple Pie are very cozy items of food, what can be better than both in the same night?!  No day can be truly complete without a trip to the Cheese Cave, and this trip yielded a great cheddar that I knew would end up in the pie crust of a really yummy apple pie.  



Lots of easy veg tonight.  It's a Friday, I can spoil myself with prepped veggies!  Just ignore the rosemary.  I made a last minute substitution of Herbs de Provence.


Brown ground meat, pearl onions, and cut up carrots.  Drain excess fat.


Add herbs, tomato paste, and most of a good beer.  What you do with the rest is up to you.  Simmer until the sauce begins to reduce, stir in the flat beans (or green beans, or peas), then pour into your favorite baking dish.


Top meat & veg with boiled golden potatoes that have been peeled, mashed with butter, goat cheese, SnP, & chives.  The chives were a last minute suggestion from a friend, and I'm glad for it!



Bake @ 375 for 35 minutes until bubbly and awesome smelling.





Bomb cheddar.  Thank you Cheese Cave!


Humble pie dough beginnings.  Pulse until crumb-like, add in cold grated cheddar, then ice water until a ball forms.  Resist the urge to over-process.  You'll thank me later.


Bake @ 425 for 20 minutes, then lower the temp to 375 for another 45 minutes.  LET IT COOL for at least 3-4 hours unless you want apple bread pudding.  Serve with a little ice cream, whipped cream, or if I have my way...a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment