Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fish n Chippies

Frying is not evil.  Frying does not have to end with greasy food.  In fact, if your oil is at the correct temperature when you cook, the reaction to your food going into the oil will create a crispy outside & moist inside, as the steam leaving your cooking meat will protect it from too much oil coming in.  However, if your temperature is too low to create that steam in your meat (or whatever you're frying), then the oil will saturate your food and you are basically creating a oil poached whatever.  There's your greasy dinner.  Bleh.


This is the dry mixture of cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and Old Bay.


My apologies for the dark photo.  Apparently my camera is angry with me, because I swear it didn't look crappy when I took it.  :/

So the order is: dry mix, buttermilk, dry mix again, then batter.  The batter has 2 eggs, a lighter bodied beer, Old Bay, AP flour, and baking powder.  Make sure you make the batter and allow to rest for 20 minutes before you start dippin'.


Slice russets, I set my slicer to 1/4 in.


Let the fish drain while you fry the potato slices for 1-2 minutes in med-high oil.  You can use canola or grapeseed or whatever oil you have on hand AS LONG AS it has a high flash point.  If you don't know what that means, just look for the part on the label that tells you what to do with the oil.  If it doesn't say fry...don't fry with it.  It will either scorch your food or catch on fire.  (Probably not, but I like scaring you)  Then fry the fish in the same oil for  3-4 minutes or until golden brown.


Watch the potatoes, they will darken as they cook but you don't want them to burn.  Then they will be gross.  Drain them on a paper towel, or preferably a rack, salt while they are hot.


You can serve this with lemon wedges, but I have a particular fondness for malt vinegar.  Don't know why, I just do, but use what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment