Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Curry in a Hurry

Grilled Pork Tenderloins & a Veggie Curry.  I just love the smell of curry!  It takes over the whole house, and it transports me to someplace much more exotic than Upland, CA...not that there's anything wrong with Upland.  Food & Wine gave me the idea for this recipe, and although I followed most of their instructions I did change a few things.


First: No red curry paste.  Instead I used this exciting discovery from the Cheese Cave.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good curry paste as much as the next girl, but curry powder from France, in a gold tin with only french on the label, from my favorite cheese monger, while I'm out shopping with no kids....it overcame me.


Second: Who puts all that yumminess into a curry, and then grills the pork tenderloins PLAIN?  Not me.


Third: No kale; chard.  Because that's what I have.



In grape seed oil saute 1 Tbl. ginger, 1 Tbl. garlic, 2 Tbl. scallions, and 1 tsp. chopped jalapeno.


Add in chunks of red bell pepper, and a small sweet potato and saute for a few minutes over medium heat.


Chop two zuchinni, cross-ways, and add into the pan along with 1 Tbl. of yummy & tasty curry powder from the Cheese Cave until fragrant, about 1 minute.


Pour in 2 c. of coconut water, yes water.  Not that thick canned crap.  Also add in the juice of a lime and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes to reduce the fluids by about half.


Can't you smell it??!!


When the veggies are tender, stir in 2 c. of chard & 1 Tbl. cilantro, then stir in 2 Tbl. of sour cream, and taste for salt and pepper.  Simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has warmed through & the chard is tender.  It will still be bitter.  If you have an aversion to bitter greens, pre-simmer the greens for a few minutes in salted water until soft.  Then drain and add into the curried sauce.  As the house dish washer, I just hate making another dirty dish.


The tenderloins I rubbed with even more delish curry and yogurt while the veg were simmering.  Then broil or grill for 4 minutes per side (imagine it's a box, so there are four sides = 12 minutes, you got it), and allow to rest for a few before you butcher it.


Assembly: Brown rice, curried veg & ahmazing sauce, sliced tenderloin, topped with cilantro, scallions, and fresh grated ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment