Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chicken Tacos & Grilled Apple Salsa

Standing in the produce section, in front of a display of apples, I picked up a giant green apple.  I said to myself, "Self, this should be in an apple salsa."  Then, as any normal person does, I thought, "Stop talking to yourself in the middle of the store, somebody might notice."  I grabbed cilantro, boneless skinless chicken, blue corn tortillas, and banilla yogurt.  Sorry...darn kids and my shopping lists.  Forget I said yogurt.





 In a medium bowl mix oil, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic, lime juice, kosher salt, and chili powder.


Cut the chicken into strips and toss in the marinade.  Let soak for 30 min at least, but I let it alone for a couple of hours...the benefit of a busy afternoon.


This...made the tacos great.  I cored a green apple, and cut it into wedges.  4 of those wedges I grilled with a jalapeno until they had grill lines.  Put the jalapeno in a paper bag, tupperware with a lid, or small bowl covered with Saran wrap until the skin pulls off easily.  Chop the jalapeno (with or without seeds, it's up to you) and put int a small mixing bowl.  Chop the grilled apple and the raw apple & add to the bowl with the jalapeno.  To the apple mixture I added lime zest, lime juice, scallions, honey, cilantro, a little oil, and salt and pepper.


Brown the chicken in a large skillet until cooked through, turning once or twice.


To assemble the tacos I used blue corn tortillas, chicken, the apple salsa, queso fresco, and some baby greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment