Friday, March 23, 2012

Dear France: I'm sorry.

This morning I set out with every intention of making burgers for the kiddos, and somehow was sidetracked onto the tangent of French food.  So I combined them.

My first introduction to Chicken Cordon Bleu, was after a move to Colorado and during my sulky preteen phase.  My sister used to have me over to her house on weekends, and we'd cook together.  On one such weekend she showed me how to pound chicken breasts flat, layer Swiss cheese and ham, roll them, bread them, and then fry the suckers until they were golden.  It tasted fantastic, and I always remember cooking with her when I eat the dish now.

Today I started with ground chicken (or turkey if you prefer), sliced ham, and sliced Jarlsberg.  I envisioned chicken burgers, stuffed with ham and cheese, then breaded.  I just had to decide what toppings should go on the bun with such a fantastic burger!


Season the ground meat with thyme, ground mustard, salt, and pepper, and rolled into small balls.  Keep in mind that these are the two halves of your burger that will go around the stuffing, so don't make them too large.   



Quarter the swiss and ham slices, to fit well inside the border of your burger.  Nobody wants cheese leaking out into the fry pan!   



Press the patties into a dish filled with breadcrumbs, and fry in equal parts of olive oil and butter for 5-6 minutes per side.  You want the internal temperature of the ground poultry to reach 165, but this was hard for me to gauge with molten cheese in the center, so I just did it by touch.


Use a nice crispy bun with some backbone, the regular soft hamburger buns will just go to mush.  Spread a layer of your favorite spicy brown mustard, add in your chicken burger, then top with an extra slice of cheese, your favorite tomato sliced (I used a brown tomato), and a handful of arugula dressed with a little lemon juice and snp.  You could also serve this with sweet potato fries, chips, or any other favored burger sides.  But if you're like me...you won't care.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment