Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Korean/me fusion meal

Have you ever stared at a package of kimchi in your refrigerator, and wondered what meal to make with it?  If not, then please lie and say yes to make me feel normal.  I also had a container of tofu, ginger root, some rice, and....leftover pork shoulder.  See last night's post <--- shameless plug.


Fried Spicy Tofu is a straightforward meal with, well, tofu, chili flakes, scallions, soy and sesame.  I served it over a brown rice blend that had been lurking in the freezer for too long, and occupying valuable ice cream space.  As for the meat dish, I found a recipe for braised Korean pork belly that looked mouthwatering.  But my pork was already cooked.  So I combined the sauce ingredients and reduced them for a few minutes at a simmer, and warmed the shredded pork in it.  I served the kimchi on top of the meat to cut some of the fattiness, it was perfect!


Believe it or not....my girls ate everything!  Even their kimchi.  



Drained 1 package firm tofu on paper towels, sprinkled with a little salt for about 10 minutes.


3 Tbl soy and an equal amount of water, 1/2 Tbl. toasted sesame oil, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tsp. chili flakes, 1 tsp. brown sugar, 8 scallions cut in 2 inch lengths


Fry the drained tofu in oil for about 3 minutes per side.  You don't need it really crispy, but you want to get rid of the raw taste.  Add the scallions for an additional minute, then pour the sauce in and reduce to low.  3-5 minutes should reduce the sauce nicely.

The pork glaze is soy, mirin (or sake), 2 inches of ginger peeled and sliced, 5 scallions, 2 smashed garlic cloves, brown sugar, 1 star anise


Toss the pork until it is warmed through.


Tofu on rice & kimchi on meat.  Dinner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment