Monday, March 26, 2012

Friday food

In this house, we have an understanding.  If it's Friday, there is a certain type of food that is expected.  No brown rice & broccoli, no Meatless Monday dishes, no breakfast-for-dinner.  We have something that we either don't spend the money or don't spend the time on, the other six days of the week.  It's our way of saying, "Well hello, weekend!"


A recent trip to the lovely Cheese Cave of Claremont, yielded 1/2lb. of goat butter, the loveliest smelling butter ever created.  Who knew that butter could smell good?!  I decided on part of it becoming a compound butter for grilled steaks.  I didn't want too many additives, I wanted to taste this butter!



Minced garlic, a splash of lemon juice, chopped parsley, and 1/4 c. butter.  Mash together, then form into a tube and roll in saran wrap.  Store in the fridge until you are ready to use.


Steaks salted.  I used to salt and pepper steaks, until I was told that the pepper can just scorch.  So now our steaks are peppered after cooking.


Lighting the charcoal grill.  IS there another kind?


My cooking companion.


While the steaks grilled and rested, I boiled small red and yellow wax potatoes, then drained them.  In a skillet I browned 2 strips of chopped bacon until crispy.  When they were done I offed the heat, and whisked in a couple tablespoons of red wine vinegar (I wouldn't recommend leaning over the pot at this point), scraping all the yummys up from the pan.  I added the hot potatoes back in, tossing to coat, then finished with a handful of arugula and some SnP.


When the steaks rested 10 minutes, I plated them, topped it with thin slices of the butter, and served with the potato salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment