Thursday, March 22, 2012

Go fish

Today, an early Spring day, was a great day for fish.  It's warm but not hot, and my garden herbs have me inspired to make light and fresh food.  In the past I have occasionally roasted salmon fillets on slices on potato and tomatoes, with herbs and garlic.  I decided this would be my inspiration today.



I began my slicing red and golden potatoes thinly, tossing them with olive oil, and staggering them in a roasting pan.  I topped the potatoes with sliced shallots, and freshly grated salt and pepper, and put them in a 400 oven for 25 minutes.  Meanwhile I sliced brown tomatoes and sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and rosemary, and when the potatoes had baked for 25 minutes I added the sliced tomatoes, and baked for 5 more minutes.


The salmon went on top of the tomatoes, and I only seasoned the fish with salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Sometimes the simplest toppings are best!



While the fish baked for 10 minutes, I mixed a compound butter with minced shallots, capers, and salt and pepper.



In a medium bowl I mixed the juice of a lemon with salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp of whole grain mustard, and half of a minced shallot. While whisking the lemon mixture I drizzled in olive oil until the dressing came together, testing for flavor.  It shouldn't be all oil, but you also don't want to dissolve your teeth with acid.  When it tasted balanced I tossed two or three handfulls of arugula (sometimes called Rocket) with the dressing.


 To serve, I mounded the arugula on a dinner plate, topped with the potatoes and tomatoes, added a potion of salmon, and a bit of the compound butter.  Enjoy!


1 comment: