Thursday, March 15, 2012

Let me 'splain. No there is too much. Let me sum up.

It's 2:46 this afternoon, I should probably decide what to make for dinner.  Let me back up.  This morning we had the first meeting with a catering client for her Spring Bash next month.  Kids on the bus, carpooled to the beach, met with our client, brainstormed, Cheese Cave again, picked up kids, then back home.

My mind spent most of this week preoccupied with ingredients that could define spring: honey, asparagus, herbs, flowers to start.  This afternoon, at shortly before 3, I had two things stuck in my mind ~ honey, and lavender.  So I decided....put them together!  I have Herbs de Provence and honey here at the house, so at TJ's I chose a whole chicken and a bag of golden potatoes.




Back in my kitchen I warmed honey, herbs de Provence, and butter in a small saucepan, then popped it into the fridge to solidify a bit.

Meanwhile I peeled the potatoes and sliced them on the mandoline, along with 2 garlic cloves.  I arranged the potato slices on their sides (picture an accordion) in a round buttered pan, and slipped the thin garlic in between every few slices of potato.  After brushing the top with olive oil and melted butter, I sprinkled with salt & pepper and some red pepper flakes, and baked at 375 for 1 hour.

When the potatoes went into the oven I took my honeyed herb butter out of the fridge, and slipped scoops of it under the chicken skin on the breast and thigh.  I salted the bird, and placed it in a baking pan, breast down.

When the potatoes were in for 1 hour I added in thyme sprigs, and put them back into the oven.  At this same time I put the chicken and baked both for 35 minutes.



The potatoes were tender and starting to golden at this point, so I removed them to cool and flipped the bird...Alright, alright keep it clean, this is a family blog!  The oven went up to 450 and I baked it for another half an hour.



Everything was done!  The potatoes looked so pretty, and the chicken was quite tasty....and Spring-y-ish.


No comments:

Post a Comment